What's your opinion on pre-ordering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTechRemix

Founder
Staff member
Founder
So I've seen opinions on both sides of the spectrum, and was curious as to what your opinion is on pre-ordering games. Personally, I have only pre-ordered one game, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. But I usually don't pre-order simply because I'll give the companies my money once they show they deserve it. :p

What's your opinion?

WilhelmTheFirst

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's a bad idea because it gives the developer the incentive to be lousy with their development of the game. Why should they make a product that works when you've paid them for the product before it has even been released?

BobSolomon

Staff member
It depends for me. I have only prepaid for two games, Yoshi's New Island and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. Smash Bros. was pretty great, and we don't talk about Yoshi's New Island.

Really. We just don't.

With both positive and negative experiences, and the fact that I really don't like spending money, I have learned that waiting for reviews might be better than getting a game the day it comes out, or even before. Plus, I agree with Dr. Death's point of incentive. In my opinion, a developer should deserve no money for a game which is incomplete. I see a lot of "Early Access" games nowadays, and I fear that this may become a norm for developers. This could create a lot of unfinished products that either just keep getting bigger to no limit (ex. Minecraft) or delaying their full releases for months, even years (ex. Terraria). While it is nice to have games a little earlier than their release, it would be nice to try it out for a reduced price, or even no charge before committing to buying it fully. I mean, if a developer made a great, solid, wholesome game, they should not have to worry about losing sales to dissatisfied customers during the trial run.

Overall, prepaying is a concept which is sort of neat-looking. However, it is basically paying something for a no-promises game development, and that is not comfortable with me! :D

CallsignWulf

DerpWulf
Staff member
I find that pre-ordering on PC is a waste of time. Not so much for consoles.
PC games have way too many launch issues, especially for people running more than adequate AMD GPU's, only having fps issues because lazy devs and Nvidia locking down their crap.
I couldn't even get to the menu on Watch Dogs for 2 months after release, and I still get horrible FPS now(Ubi+DX11 is crap combo).
I just went and bought the PS4 version the next day and completed the game before I could even start it on PC. Worst bit is, I spent 90 dollars on the PC version cause I got the gold edition and this and that extra stuff.

Then we have Dying Light, which runs horribly for mostly everyone. Granted my GPU barely meets minimum specs, the 6990 is still a more than capable beast. 10-30fps is not acceptable.

Devs can get away with broken PC games because Steam games can't be refunded (easily) and it's mostly all digital, and the majority of people buying the games are on consoles, minus exclusives obviously. I'm seriously debating ever pre-ordering something on PC again. Of course after saying this, I'll probably just go and preorder something again, it's really hard not to when you look at all the stuff you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.