How to Join Vaxoc Gaming DayZ Epoch Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTechRemix

Founder
Staff member
Founder
NOTE: This server is still just an idea, and is still in testing phase. It has many fixes that need to be done on it, and the server may not ever be officially launched as a Vaxoc Gaming service. This is just a test to see how things go!

This requires that you have purchased and installed ArmA 2 and ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead.

It's easiest to download a program to manage your servers and mods. To do this, I recommend DayZ Launcher. Another popular solution is DayZ Commander, but it seems many people are having trouble with some servers showing up in Commander, so this guide will be written using DayZ Launcher.

After you've installed that program, open it and click "Settings" in the upper-right. Change the "ArmA 2 Path" to the location where you have ArmA 2 installed. Change the "ArmA 2: OA Path" and "Mods/Downloads Path" to the location where you have ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead installed. It should look something like this:

After you've verified that those paths are correct, click the "Save" button, and restart the launcher.

Once you've restarted the launcher, go to your Mods menu by clicking Mods at the top of the launcher. At this menu, click "Download" on both DayZ 1.8.2 and DayZ Epoch 1.0.5.1. This will download the mods needed to play on the server. When it's done, it should look something like this:

When those are done downloading, go to the "Servers" tab, and search for "Vaxoc", and you should see our server! To join, you should just be able to click the green arrow! It should look something like this:

That should be all you need to do! If you have any trouble, feel free to reply to this post! Remember: This server is just in a testing phase. It may or may not be published as a VG service!

Have fun! :D

iTechRemix

Founder
Staff member
Founder
Note: The server will be up and down, since we're constantly editing the add-ons that are installed. So if it randomly goes down, that's likely why!

brodyx50

Staff member
A tip for weaker PC's, play the game in windowed and close the DayZ Launcher after you started the game already.

iTechRemix

Founder
Staff member
Founder
----------------------------------------------------
Clarification
: This post refers to the DayZ Epoch modification for ArmA 2, and is not meant to claim that ArmA itself does not offer sufficient modding support. In the context of this post, "ArmA" will refer to the DayZ Epoch modification. (The post was made very late at night - sorry for the confusion!)
----------------------------------------------------

A quick update on things with this...at this point, it is not looking likely that this will become an official server. There are multiple reasons behind this. First and foremost, ArmA is a game that does not like to be modded, which you probably know if you've ever run a modded ArmA server yourself. ;) These servers break very easily, and are a pain to edit and configure, especially for servers that are modded to the extent of DayZ Epoch.

Also, with the way the server hardware is set up currently, I don't feel comfortable launching it as a Vaxoc Gaming server. It was running on a temporary setup this whole time that really isn't suitable for running a public server, especially if designated as "official."

Lastly, we don't have full control over the ban system with an ArmA server. There are some community members that have had their account banned from BattlEye for situations largely out of their control, and unfortunately we can't do anything to allow them to play on the server without completely disabling BattlEye, opening the server up to cheating, hacking, etc., and forcing staff to watch much more meticulously. Of course, that is not an optimal solution.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game that I like to play myself, though for the time being, it looks like this server will not be designated as an official Vaxoc Gaming server. That doesn't mean we can't play the game from time to time! ;)

Let me know if you have any questions! :) I might make a post soon about the status of game servers and VG that goes into more detail about what has been doing on in that department.

Last edited:
As somebody who has and currently is developing content for both A2 and A3--I disagree wholly with your statements. The ArmA engine is designed around allowing the player to customize his experience. Hell, the whole ethos of Arma as a series has been to allow the player to forge his own path. The largest part of that (starting from back in the ArmA: Armed Assault days) has been the modding community. Bohemia relies so strongly on the modding community. There is such a plethora of documentation on scripting commands and different Arma variables and functions, so much work put into allowing the modding community to do their job as it's been done since ArmA: Armed Assault. Saying that Arma is a game which "does not like to be modded" is entirely false. That being said, Epoch is not the average A3 mod.

Modded Arma servers are very stable, but when you get into the realm of terribly coded addons like Epoch and DayZ then you run into problems. The trouble with Epoch is persistence. Creating a persistent gamemode is somewhat of a challenge in the Arma engine, but it's definitely not impossible. Most persistent gamemodes operate by storing variables and functions inside the game; whereas DayZ and DayZ variants (like Epoch) have to query other servers in order to call player data. The bottom line is that the person who came up with the idea of persistent player-profiles over all servers was not an Arma scripter or modder.It was a great idea in theory, but any Arma scripter or modder would have immediately realized the stupidity of putting all player-profiles and player-data on a so-called 'master hive' or 'hive'. The result of this dumb decision was 1. To make the hosting/running of one of these servers overly complex, 2. Bog down already-single-core-limited A3 servers even more, and 3. Create a lot of instability for these types of dedicated servers. So, what am I trying to say? Good riddance. Epoch servers are more trouble than they're worth.

As for the BattleEye ban system; yeah it's pretty idiotic. There are easy workarounds though, simply enabling keysigning and disabling BattleEye while also implementing a suite of scripts (which are easy to write and insert into any sort of server) that detects any sort of unusual or peculiar code being run by any client connected to the server.

And on to my other thoughts, why don't you launch up another persistent gamemode, for example some variant of I&A, Domination, or perhaps Insurgency? It's quite easy to get traffic on those sorts of servers; and they are a lot less tricky to run in the first place because they are actually not coded sloppily.

iTechRemix

Founder
Staff member
Founder
Perhaps I should have worded the part about modding a bit differently. I should not have said ArmA itself is not mod friendly, but as you stated, persistent gamemodes such as Epoch are less-than-efficient. Apologies about that part. :confused: Querying an external MySQL database for player data is probably not the best way of going about things, along with the hive system, as you mentioned.

Beyond that poor word choice on my part, a large reason as to why I haven't announced a replacement gamemode or server is due to the lack of appropriate hardware at the moment (this was the main factor in the reason for the Epoch server not gaining official designation), and I can't afford to pay for server hosting for now. I have had a few offers to aid in the hardware department from some community members (thanks to those people!), but I still have to evaluate those kind of offers.

I'll add a clarification to my original post about the ArmA/Epoch word confusion. ;)

I've got a couple of laptops that I host dedicated servers off of for various games (and for my music bot Infinite Improbability FM). They are less-than-ideal for more than 15 players; but they will support up to that many on most persistent gamemodes (and have in the past).

iTechRemix

Founder
Staff member
Founder
I've got a couple of laptops that I host dedicated servers off of for various games (and for my music bot Infinite Improbability FM). They are less-than-ideal for more than 15 players; but they will support up to that many on most persistent gamemodes (and have in the past).
Yeah, I have received a few of these offers from some other community members as well, so I'm happy to see these offers from the community! :D I'll have to decide if we want to get into giving official designation to community-powered servers, and if so, we would probably have to come up with criteria for applying for official designation/recognition. I'll probably make a separate post pondering the idea.

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.